Monday, December 21, 2009

My yummy contribution!

This year for my husbands family Christmas party we were all supposed to bring a dish, I was designated to bring the salad. The ladies all do a recipe exchange so I thought I should share a layered salad recipe that my family has enjoyed for years!



A big clear bowl works best so you can see all the pretty layers!

1 head of lettuce chopped into bite size pieces

1 bunch of chopped green onion

3-4 sticks of chopped celery

2 cans of sliced water chestnuts

1 medium size package of frozen peas

1.5 cups mayonaise

1-2 tbls sugar

4-5 tomatoes sliced

7-8 hardboiled eggs sliced

1 package bacon, cooked, de-fatted and chopped into bits

grated cheese

Make even layer with lettuce, sprinkle onion and celery, lay water chestnuts all around, add frozen peas, evenly spread mayo, sprinkle with sugar, cover and refrigerate over night. Next day add tomatoes, eggs, cheese and cooked bacon.

It is a salad I like to do just for special occasions, even though it takes a bit of time to prep and construct, it takes almost no time to scarf it down!

Enjoy folks and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

6 comments:

Maybeads said...

That looks really yummy! I may have to indulge.

JanelDudleyBeads said...

If you try it out let me know what you think!

Emakaye said...

Looks really delicious...MMmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

I have had this orgasmic taste twice now.....the best ever Nelly. Your gonna have to bring some over soon...again...

JanelDudleyBeads said...

I think I know who this is!! :) Hi Mikey and Janel!! You might have to wait till the next special occasion!! lol

Janel said...

Hi doll,

Got it thanks... I will let you know what my family thinks :) I already know how delicious it is! Do you mind if I use your bowl? I will bring it back asap and take good care of it ;)